Hi, I just wanted to let everybody know that Olivia was awarded second place in a statewide essay. The subject of the contest was "Writing Women Back Into History". She chose Edna Griffin, an African-American lady who, in 1948, was refused service at a lunch counter in a drugstore in Des Moines, because of her color. She then...well, I'll let Olivia tell her story, if I can figure out how to attach it here. There's no sense in me trying to tell it, she's going to Des Moines next Thursday and getting introduced to the Iowa House of Representatives and the Senate! We're going with her!
The Rosa Parks of Iowa
By: Olivia Dawson
George Washington Middle School
6th Grade
Edna Griffin is a courageous and brave woman. I believe that she should be written back into history because she fights for what she believes in. She did not allow anyone to tell her that she could not be served in a public establishment. She stood up for what she believed in and worked for equal rights.
Edna was born in 1909 in Kentucky. She was raised in New Hampshire and graduated from Fisk University. Then she married Stanley Griffin. In1947 they moved to Des Moines, Iowa. A year later she went to the Katz Drug Store sat at the lunch counter and ordered an ice cream soda and was refused service by Maurice Katz. Maurice told Edna that the store was “not equipped to serve colored people.”
Edna picketed outside the store and sued Maurice Katz. The Iowa Supreme Court backed her claim that Mr. Katz violated the 1884 Iowa statute making it a crime to discriminate in public accommodations. An all-white jury awarded Ms. Griffin $1. Later on that year Ms. Griffin also organized the Des Moines chapter of the Congress on Racial Equality. (C.O.R.E.) She is a role model to all people especially women.
I chose Edna because I think discrimination is one of the most important issues in history of the past, present, and future. I am a young African-American woman and I think it is very inspirational that Edna stood up for herself, her rights as a black woman, and her freedom.
If we had more people in our world like Edna Griffin, it would truly be a place where many people would not feel like the victims of discrimination and racism. I hope anyone who has heard of Edna Griffin can learn from her story that you should always stand up for what you believe in no matter how afraid you may be. My mom has always told me that if you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything. Edna Griffin did not allow anyone to make her feel like less of a person or take away her right to freedom. She should be written back into history as the Rosa Parks of Iowa for her tremendous courage and bravery.
Cited Sources
Roxanne Conlin & Associates, P. C. http://www.roxanneconlinlaw.com/CM/Custom/Custom4.asp. 2003. Des Moines, Iowa.
Des Moines Register. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/99999999/FAMOUSIOWANS/40618040/1001/NEWS. March 2009. Des Moines, Iowa.
The University of Iowa Libraries. http://sdnc.lib.uiowa.edu/iwa/fingingaids/html/GriffinEdna.html. November 2007. Iowa City, Iowa.
There! That saved me lots of typing! Okay, you can tell we're pretty proud of her. This contest include 6th and 7th grade students across the whole state. She chose Edna herself; she went online and Googled women in Iowa's history, and this is the one she chose. And she's twelve years old! She's setting the bar too high, I think!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Awesome job Olivia!! We are proud of you!!!
Post a Comment